A new president of the organization has been confirmed in the person of Prof. Cyril Usifoh. He defeated Dr. Lolu Ojo, Pharm. Ayuba Tanko and Dr. Daniel Orumwense to emerge the winner. He pooled 855 votes ahead of the second candidate Dr. Lolu Ojo who pooled 552 votes.
The Pharmaceutical Society of Nigeria concluded its annual national conference. This year’s conference tagged “The Garden City” was held in Port-Harcourt, Rivers State. The memorable event ended with the election of members into key positions in the body.
Full list of Winners in the PSN Elections
Prof Cyril Usifoh: 855 votes (winner)
Dr. Lolu Ojo: 552 votes
Pharm. Tanko Ibrahim Ayuba: 273 votes
Dr. Otakho Daniel Orumwense: 91 votes
Deputy President North:
Pharm. Binji Ibrahim: 799 votes
Pharm. Tijani Yahaya: 567 votes
Pharm. Sani Bello: 365 votes
Voided votes: 21 votes
Deputy President South:
Dr. Egbuna Udeorah: 772 votes
Pharm. Chima Ogbu: 670 votes
Assistant National Secretary:
Pharm. Ikenna Chibueze Mbata: 954 votes
Pharm. Patrick Ehitare Omoarebu: 790 votes
Voided votes: 19
Pharm. Obianuju Onwuatuegwu: 974 votes
Pharm. Kingsley Amibor: 658 votes
Pharm. Bolajoko Aina: 598 votes
Pharm. Daba Boyle: 355 votes
Here are a few things you need to know about the New President
- He gained his Bachelor of Pharmacy (B. Pharm) from Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife in 1983.
- He will go to England for his masters obtaining his M.Sc from Sussex University, Brighton in England in the year 1985.
- Prof. Cyril Usifoh did not rest on his laurels. He went to Germany and obtained his Ph.D. from Westfalischen Wilhelms-University, Münster, Germany in 1992.
- He joined University of Benin in 1993 and was promoted to a Professor in 2003.
- He is a professor of Pharmaceutical Chemistry.
- He served first as Head of Department, Pharmaceutical Chemistry between 2003-05.
- Then he was promoted to become the Dean of Pharmaceutical Sciences at the University of Benin for two terms (2006-10)
- He served as the Chairman of the PSN in his native Edo State. Additionally, he served as the Chairman of the National Association of Pharmacists in Academia.
- He is an avid researcher and has several publications and research works. Check here on Researchgate for some of his works. He has over 87 projects to his name.
- His researches has earned him several accolades and awards such as the German Academic Exchange Service, TETFund National Research Grant, May & Baker Professional Service Award in Pharmacy in 2007. The TETFund award price he won is N40 million and Cyril Usifoh was the main investigator in the research on the use of Pesticides in food preservation.
What are his plans for the PSN?
The new president has assured pharmacists that he will work to ensure that they are adequately renumerated just as other health care professionals.
He also wants to make sure the Pharm D program and the Consultancy Cadre will be implemented across all health institutions of all states of the federation.
Prof. Cyril Usifoh also assures he will help to promote community pharmacy practice across the country. He will also push for the proper recognition of the community pharmacists as primary healthcare providers as stated in the National Health Insurance act 2014.
The new president has also reiterated his aim to make medicines readily available for the entire population. This he will achieve through empowering local industries to produce drugs.