Ginger and garlic are a nutritional and medicinal powerhouse that has been used in Chinese medicine for centuries. Both plants are natural antioxidants, and taking them together as a mixture gives the body the right balance of health and nutritional benefits.
They contain vital minerals, vitamins, and other bioactive elements that are of immense health benefits. Garlic contain manganese, calcium, copper, selenium, vitamin B6, vitamin C among others. It has a bioactive compound, allicin and other sulfur compounds that are of health effect.
Ginger also contain many minerals and vitamins, and importantly gingerol, a bioactive compound with many medicinal benefits.
They can be mixed as a paste, tea, or added to a healthy recipe, cuisines. Garlic can be used to make numerous recipes such as garlic soup, garlic and olive, garlic and honey etc.
Ginger and Garlic Paste
The ginger and garlic paste is made with the ginger in the half proportion to the garlic quantity.
- Remove the skin of both herbs.
- Chop the herbs with a knife and transfer into a blender.
- Add a little water and blend the mixture. The blending will create the paste.
- If you want to improve the shelf life of the paste, you can add the paste to a pan containing cooking oil with mild heating.
- Stir continuously and allow most of the moisture in the paste to evaporate.
- Allow to cool, and store in the refrigerator.
Ginger and Garlic and Lemon Tea
Ginger and garlic and lemon tea is a healthy tea infusion that has many health benefits such as antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-diabetic, immune boosting, blood pressure lowering, weight loss properties.
To prepare ginger and garlic and lemon tea:
- Slice the cloves of garlic into smaller pieces.
- Crush the garlic a bit to release the oil inside.
- Boil two cups of water in a pot or kettle, and add the ginger and garlic after some minutes of boiling.
- After boiling, allow the tea to steep for some minutes
- Pour into a cup and add honey to taste.
- You can then squeeze in lemon juice to the tea.
Garlic and Honey
Garlic and honey has many health benefits such as antioxidants, manages colds and flu, boost immunity, lowers cholesterol, detoxify the body. Some suggests it’s better to take it on empty stomach.
To make garlic and honey:
- Peel the garlic and add like ten cloves of it in a jar
- Add a cup of honey and cover. Make sure all the garlic are covered by the honey.
- Allow the mixture to ferment for days.
- You can now take it.
Garlic and Olive Oil
Garlic infused olive oil has anti-inflammatory, anti-diabetic, immune boosting, antimicrobial, memory boosting properties. It is also used to treat cold and flu, skin diseases, and hair loss.
To prepare garlic and olive oi; mixture:
- Peel the fresh garlic and soak the garlic in the high-quality olive oil.
- Heat for three to five minutes over medium heat with a pan.
- Simmer the garlic in more oil.
- Reduce the heat, and wait for three to five minutes until the mixture starts to slightly bubble.
- Simmer for 15 minutes and remove the heat source
- Allow to cool and strain the oil
- Store the oil in an airtight container
Source: Paleo Grubs
Health Benefits of Ginger and Garlic
There are many benefits of taking ginger and garlic tea, paste, and other recipes.
Ginger and garlic benefit to men: They may improve blood circulation, enhance libido, fertility and prevent sexual dysfunction. The antioxidants content prevent free radicals in the body that may affect fertility.
Boost immune system: Ginger and garlic boost the immune system by reducing inflammation and oxidative stress.
Relieves symptoms of cold and flu: Antioxidants and sulfur compounds in garlic helps to relieve symptoms of common cold and flu.
Antioxidants: Protect the body against free radicals that cause damage to body cells and lead to diseases such as cancer, cardiovascular diseases and neurodegenerative diseases.
Reduces inflammation: Gingerol in garlic, and allicin in garlic, both have anti-inflammatory activity. This prevents inflammatory damages to body cells, tissues, and organs like the liver, heart.
Cardiovascular effect: High blood sugar, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure increases the risk of cardiovascular diseases. Ginger and garlic possesses properties that protect the body against such cardiovascular diseases.
Anti-diabetic effect: The mixture has blood sugar lowering effect. It also improves the functioning of insulin, preventing diabetes.
Prevents cancer: Garlic may protect against colorectal, lung cancer, while ginger and onions may protect against breast, pancreas, prostate cancer. The effects are due to the antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
Lowers bad cholesterol: It also prevents atherosclerosis, reduces triglycerides levels, low density lipoprotein, total cholesterol, and prevent coronary heart diseases, high blood pressure, and hypercholesterolemia.
Antimicrobial property: Both herbs are loaded with phytochemicals that have antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral activity against many harmful germs and microbes.
Improves digestion: Both ginger and garlic may help to improve digestion as they contain dietary fiber, and antioxidants which may help against digestive issues like bloating, pain.
Improves cognitive ability: The mixture can help to improve memory and learning. It protects against nerve cell inflammation, and degeneration. It also prevents disease such as Alzheimer’s disease, dementia, and other age-related cognitive decline. They protect the brain cells by preventing oxidative damage by free radicals that cause inflammation in the brain.