There are many recipes and preparations that can be gotten from the herb, cloves. The recipes such as clove and garlic utilize the numerous nutritional and health benefits of the clove plant. Clove oil extracted from the plant has loads of vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals. These phytochemicals have antioxidant, anti-diabetic, anti-inflammatory, lipid-lowering, antihypertensive action. Other uses are as aphrodisiac, in respiratory symptoms, and digestive problems.
Some clove recipes are clove tea, clove, and ginger tea, clove and garlic tea, coffee with cinnamon and clove, fragrant basmati rice with clove, and other uses of clove oil.
How to Prepare Clove Tea
Ingredients: 4–5 cloves, 1½ cup of water, 1 lemon, 1 teaspoon of honey or sugar.
- Grind the cloves using your mortal and pestle.
- Add a cup and a half of water and the cloves in a pan and bring it to boil.
- Add 1 whole squeezed lemon in the pan along with the clove and water.
- Allow to shimmer for 3–4 minutes.
- Let it cool, strain, then add sugar or honey to taste
How to Prepare Clove and Garlic Tea
Clove and garlic are wonderful healthy recipe and drink. Garlic stimulate the nervous system and relieves anxiety. It also improves blood flow, and improves energy.
Ingredients: 3 pieces of peeled garlic, 1/2 spoon of cloves, water
- Grate the peeled onions, and add into a cup.
- Add the grated garlic in a cup and pour the hot water. Mix properly.
- Add the half spoon of powdered cloves to the mixture. Mix everything properly by stirring.
- Allow the mixture for 30 minutes, and strain to remove unwanted particles.
- Add a spoon of honey and mix well.
Cloves and Ginger Mixture
Cloves are used for cooking and has medicinal benefits such as antibacterial, antifungal, analgesic, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory activities. It is loaded with manganese, vitamin K, vitamin C, calcium, iron, and dietary fiber. Ginger also contain gingerol that has many health benefits.
A mixture of the cloves and ginger will offer the body many health and nutritional benefits such as lowering sugar levels, preventing infection, microbial infection in the teeth. It also prevents respiratory infections, reduces cholesterol levels, oxidative stress, improves the heart functions, digestion, and metabolism.
How to prepare cloves and ginger mixture
Ingredients: 4 to 5 cloves, 1 inch (2.54 cm) ginger, 2 cups (0.47 liters) of water.
- Boil water in a deep pan.
- Remove the water from the heat source, and add crushed cloves and grated ginger to the pan.
- Allow the ingredients to steep for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Strain the water into a cup, add 1 teaspoon of honey or sugar to taste.
- You can take this on an empty stomach.
Coffee with Cinnamon and Cloves
Ingredients: 2 cups (0.47 l) water, 4 whole cloves, 1/2 3-inch cinnamon stick, 5 teaspoons sugar, and 5 teaspoons instant coffee granules.
- Combine the water, coffee granules, cinnamon stick and cloves in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Remove heat source, allow cooling for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Strain and discard the spices.
- Add sugar to taste.
Fragrant Rice with Cloves
Ingredients: 12 cloves, 1 cup (0.24 l) of water, 1 onion, salt and 1/2 cup of basmati rice.
- Wash the rice under water until the water is clear, and place the rice in a pot
- Add a pinch of salt to the rice.
- Poke the cloves into the onion to avoid falling during cooking.
- Place the onion end with the cloves on top of the cooking rice and avoid mixing it.
- Cook the rice for 15 to 20 minutes, and remove the onion with the clove.
- Mix the rice properly and discard excess water.
How to Prepare Clove Oil at Home
Clove oil is used as a home remedy for toothache, painful gum, acne, inflammation and for massaging the hair. It is also used to flavor toothpaste.
Ingredients: 3 tablespoons of dried clove, 1/2 cup of olive or coconut oil.
- Add 3 tablespoons of dried clove in a mortar, crush the seeds using a pestle and then transfer into a small dark or amber glass jar.
- Add olive oil or coconut oil to reach the middle of the jar.
- After adding the oil, close the lid of the bottle and shake it gently to mix the content appropriately.
- Place the jar on a sunny window, and make sure to shake it every day to infuse the oil.
- After seven days, you will notice the oil has taken over the fragrance and the color of the cloves; shake it one more time to mix it up.
- Open the jar and strain the oil to collect the clove residues.
- Transfer the oil into an airtight container and store it.
Different Home Remedies using Clove Oil
Toothache: Pressing a clove bud between the jaws, at the site of toothache, can help relieve the pain.
Tooth decay: Apply clove oil in the cavity of a decayed tooth to reduce pain and remove infection.
Bad breath (Halitosis): You can chew clove buds.
Cough and catarrh: You can prepare a decoction by boiling 5–6 cloves in 30 ml of water. Take the decoction of clove with honey, thrice a day, as an expectorant. Chewing a clove with salt also relives coughing. Eating a clove in betel (piper betel) leaf is the best remedy for treating catarrh.
Ear problems: Insert a 2–3 drops of warm mixture of clove oil and sesame oil into the ear to relieve ear problems.
Acne/spots: Apply the paste of clove powder in honey over the affected area to get rid of acne. The mixture of few drops of clove oil and coconut oil removes acne and leftover spots.
Pharyngitis: Chewing roasted clove is a wonderful medicine in case of pharyngitis.
Antiemetic: Clove bud boiled in water acts as an anti-emetic, especially in pregnancy. Licking the paste of clove powder in honey removes nausea.
Hyperacidity: Suck a clove bud to obtain relief from hyperacidity.
Digestive issues: Clove oil, when taken with sugar, cures stomach ache, upset.
Headache: Paste of clove and common salt, when taken with milk, helps in reducing headache.
Treating sty: Rub a clove stub in water and apply the same over the affected area for treating sty, inflammation on the eyelashes.
Joint/Muscle pains: Apply the mixture of clove oil and mustard oil, to relieve inflammation, joint pains and muscular cramps.
Spasmodic cough: For treating spasmodic coughs during tuberculosis, bronchitis and asthma, mix a few drops of clove oil with garlic and honey.
Insecticidal action: Spraying the solution of clove oil in water, in a ratio of 1 to 10, keeps the insects at bay.
Other Uses of Clove Oil
- This natural oil has antimicrobial properties and can be effective in skin infections such as ringworm or acne.
- It helps to stimulate the hair follicles and improve hair growth. It also thickens the hair.
- Use a few drops of clove oil in tea, or simply combine clove with ginger to make ginger tea. This can help in relieving respiratory conditions like cough and asthma.
- The leaf oil is used to impart fragrance to perfumes and soaps.
- In Indonesia, cloves are mixed with tobacco in the proportion of 1: 2 to make a cigarette called Kretek.
- Clove is used to make pomanders (thin-skinned oranges, lemon, and apples are pierced with a large needle to make holes for studding clove inside the concentric holes).
- Dried cloves are the key ingredient in Indian masala tea.
- Clove is often used to flavor meat products, pastries, cookies, candies, chewing gum, spiced fruits, hot spiced drinks, chocolate drinks, wines and liqueurs, puddings, sandwiches, cakes, curries, and pickles.
- It is a common kitchen spice used for studding particularly tomatoes, onions, sausage, soups, salads and herbal teas.
- It is an important spice used in cuisines of Russia, Scandinavia, Greece, India, and China.